Thursday, November 16, 2006

Jonathan Miller - Leaving AOL

I've historically never quite seen eye to eye with AOL; I was no fan of the walled garden Web model, though I can see the point in the simplicity and handholding that this allow the novice user, and lets not even get into the early stages of the Time-Warner deal.

However, recently I had started to think they were at last getting it right. The embracing of Web 2.0 and their complete about face from walled garden to bastion of openness seemed to me to smack of an organisation with renewed vigour and vision. Thus, it is with some surprise that I read of the departure of CEO Jonathan Miller.
It is partly the fact that I've seen Miller speak twice recently (MIT Technology Review Emerging Technology conference and the Web 2.0 Summit) and been impressed by his approach that had given me such a good feeling about AOL's future.

I'll never understand this business!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home