Friday, June 10, 2005

Playing with Greasemonkey

I've been aware of Greasemonkey for a while now but only really had a look at hacking with it this morning and seem to have lost several hours!!! All good fun though.

For those who don't know: "Greasemonkey is a Firefox extension which lets you to add bits of DHTML ('user scripts') to any web page to change its behavior."

Check it out and if you aren't using Firefox (why not??????) get it here. It's my favourite browser of all time and its free!!!

Any how, my first Greasemonkey script (such that it is) that does anything remotely useful is:

Audioscrobbler Refresher

The explanation of what it does is longer than the script itself. And what it does is refresh the audioscrobbler user pages every 3 minutes. So if like me you like to have you audioscrobbler user page open to keep track of your recent tracks and stats but wish you didn't have to keep clicking refresh on you browser well, .... er, now you don't.

If you listen to a lot of short punk songs you may want to reduce the refresh interval. Likewise if 12 minute prog rock epics are your thing you might want to extend the interval somewhat. 3 minutes works pretty well for me!

This really is a very simple script and in fact its only the 'include' tags that stop it being a general page reloader in fact! But, its my first look and my knowledge of the DOM is a little rusty!

1 Comments:

At 9:41 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep, I've heard interesting things about it, but not had the time to play with it. My knowledge of DHTML is pretty limited though to I'dd have quite a learning curve going on.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home